Pensioner, 74, dies from smoke poisoning after cooking chips in household lubricant oil 

Pensioner, 74, dies from smoke poisoning after cooking chips in household lubricant oil

  • Carol Oldfield, 74, used 3-In-One lubricant oil to cook chips on her kitchen hob
  • She went to still another room in her home in Ripley, Derbyshire and fell asleep
  •  Her house full of white smoke which she inhaled – she died days later
  • Coroner ruled that misadventure.

An elderly woman died from smoke poisoning after she mistakenly cooked with lubricant instead of cooking oil.

Carol Oldfield put 3-In-One lubricant oil on her chips and switched on the hob in your kitchen of her home in Ripley, Derbyshire.

The 74-year-old retired machinist then went in to another room where she fell asleep for around two hours.

When she woke up, her house was filled with white smoke from the burning oil, which she inhaled, resulting in her death some days later.

Carol Oldfield put 3-In-One lubricant oil on her behalf chips and turned on the hob in the kitchen at her Ripley, Derbyshire home before dropping off to sleep for two hours (stock photo)

A medical study of her brain for an inquest in to her death at Derby Coroner’s Court has revealed that she had early signs of dementia.

Assistant coroner Emma Serran revealed how Mrs Oldfield called Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service on March 6 in 2010 just after 7pm, the remote hearing was told.

When she woke up, her house was filled with white smoke created by the burning oil, which she inhaled, resulting in her death some days later (stock photo)

Mrs Oldfield told the phone call handler that her house was filled with smoke and she couldn’t find her way out.

Three fire engines were sent to the scene, one from Ripley and two from Alfreton. Police and an ambulance also attended.

Firefighters told Mrs Oldfield to attend upstairs until they could ventilate the ground floor.

They then escorted her away from home, and initially she appeared to have suffered little damage and was taken to hospital for checks.

But Dr Marco Giovannelli, consultant at Royal Derby Hospital, detailed in a report how her condition slowly worsened, with Mrs Oldfield complaining of a hoarse throat and coughing over the next few days.

She was eventually moved to end-of-life care on March 16, and died two days later.

A Derby Coroner ruled that Mrs Oldfield did not intend to take her own life, and the reason was put down to misadventure

A Derby Coroner ruled that Mrs Oldfield did not plan to take her very own life, and the reason was put down to misadventure

Miss Serrano, summing up the case, said: ‘Mrs Oldfield put three-in-one oil on her chips, which is different from cooking oil.

‘She switched on the hob and went into the living room and fell asleep.

‘The room filled with white smoke, which she inhaled.

‘She woke up and called the fire service who managed to get her out of the address but sadly the damage had already happened.

‘She didn’t recover and sadly died.’

Her technical reason behind death was presented with as 1A Pneumonia and 1B smoke inhalation.

The coroner ruled that Mrs Oldfield did not plan to take her very own life, and the reason was put down to misadventure.

Advertisement

Source link