Netflix now permits you to protect your profile with a PIN, conserving different individuals on your account from accessing your dwelling display screen and customized experiences. This new characteristic was introduced as a part of the service’s up to date parental controls and will stop younger viewers from discovering their approach into a dad or mum’s profile the place mature content material is accessible.
But PIN safety can be utilized even should you don’t have children and easily need to stop another person on your account — buddies, household, a vital different, and many others. — from messing with your Netflix suggestions and viewing historical past. Before this new characteristic was enabled, it was a trivial matter to swap between profiles, so this new further step ought to assist cease individuals from “accidentally” watching issues whereas utilizing your profile.
Set up PIN safety
- Sign into Netflix with a internet browser (account settings can’t be modified from the Netflix app on your cellphone or TV)
- Click your profile photograph on the higher proper, and select “Account”
- Go down to the Profile & Parental Controls part, and click on the arrow subsequent to your profile icon to broaden this space. You ought to then see the Profile Lock setting (which is what Netflix is asking its PIN safety characteristic). Click on the Change button.
- To be sure you’re the account proprietor, Netflix will ask for your password. After that, you’ll see a display screen the place you possibly can click on “Require a PIN to access Chris’s profile” and enter your chosen PIN. (Please be extra artistic than my instance.)
- You can even examine a field right here in order that your PIN is required each time somebody makes an attempt to add a new person profile to your account
- Once your PIN is ready, Netflix will ask for it each time that profile is chosen on the welcome display screen. This will occur on all units, together with TVs. Note that Netflix will not ask for a PIN if your profile is the one one which exists on the account.
Incidentally, don’t confuse this with two-factor authentication, which Netflix nonetheless doesn’t supply. Profile lock is meant to cease different licensed customers on your account from moving into your particular person Netflix expertise.
Any profile on your Netflix account might be given its personal PIN, however solely the account holder can set them up. So if a number of individuals in your home need a PIN, you possibly can look away as they enter them in when you’ve authenticated with your password.
However, the Netflix account proprietor at all times has the facility to disable the PIN and profile lock for any profile. Remember, that is meant extra as a parental management device than the rest. But it’s a handy trick for conserving your Netflix suggestion algorithms from going haywire when a roommate spends hours watching The Circle and Love is Blind with out realizing they’re utilizing your profile.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media might earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, see our ethics coverage.