This is such a beautiful pie – probably the greatest I’ve ever made – by which the uncooked bulgar wheat soaks up the moisture from the courgettes. A scrumptious vegetarian dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 75g unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1kg courgettes, coarsley grated
- four spring onions, chopped
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 50g bulgur wheat
- 10g dill, chopped
- Leaves from 15g parsley, chopped
- 5g mint leaves
- 200g filo pastry sheets, every about 30 x 38cm
- Preheat the oven to 190C/180C fan*/Gas 5.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil with a knob of the butter in pan and cook dinner the onion till golden. Remove to a bowl.
- In the identical pan, cook dinner three quarters of the courgettes with all of the spring onions till the combination has collapsed right into a purée and is not moist. The thought is to drive out as a lot of the surplus moisture as doable. Transfer to the onion bowl.
- Heat the remainder of the olive oil and one other knob of butter, then fry the remainder of the courgettes. These must be cooked till they’ve exuded a whole lot of water, however don’t take them to a purée – this offers the pie a little bit of texture. Add these to the bowl together with the feta, bulgur wheat and herbs. Season.
- Melt the remainder of the butter and use a few of it to brush the bottom and sides of a 26cm springform cake tin.
- Put 4 complete sheets of filo into the tin, positioning them just like the spokes of a wheel and overlapping, all the best way spherical. The sheets ought to hold over the edges of the tin by about 11cm. Butter every sheet as you go alongside. Do an overlapping second layer in the identical manner.
- Spoon the courgette combination on high of the filo. Bring the pastry up excessive of the pie, however don’t fully cowl it – scrunch the ends of the filo all the best way spherical. Brush with the remaining butter. Bake within the oven for 45-50 minutes, or till the pie is a beautiful golden color.
*Diana’s conversion might differ barely from the usual