T his recipe comes from America in the Great Depression, and also is called ‘Depression cake’, although it’s actually a really uplifting cake – thick, abundant and also virtually fudgey. Double the amounts and also cook 2 layers in 20 centimeters or 22 centimeters round tins to make a wonderful lockdown birthday celebration cake.
Prep time: 15 mins|Cooking time: 40 mins
- 180 g simple flour
- 200 g sugar (any type of will certainly do however brown offers the fudgiest outcome)
- 50 g chocolate powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soft drink
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp vinegar (cider, red wine or white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 75 ml mild-flavoured oil (such as sunflower or grease)
- 220 ml water
- No chocolate? Use 200 g warm chocolate powder (not instantaneous warm chocolate) and also simply 50 g sugar.
- No bicarb? Use 2 tsp cooking powder and also omit the vinegar.
- No brandy? A little bit of liquor makes it extra chocolatey, so whisky will certainly function great – or simply leave it out.
- Preheat the stove to 180 C/160 C follower/Gas 4.
- Line the base and also oil the sides of a tin 20 cmx20 centimeters square or a round one 20-22 centimeters in size (this is not a picky cake).
- Once the stove is warm, filter the flour, sugar, chocolate, salt and also bicarbonate of soft drink right into a big dish.
- Mix with each other the vanilla essence, vinegar, brandy (or whisky), oil and also water, and also mix right into the flour mix. Beat up until smooth after that put right into the ready tin.
- Bake for 30-35 mins up until a skewer pressed right into the center appears tidy. Cool for 10 mins in the tin after that end up onto a shelf to end up air conditioning. Decorate with thawed chocolate, chocolate buttercream or fudge topping.