With all muffins, bake for the minimal time given within the recipe earlier than opening the oven door. If the door is opened too quickly, some muffins could deflate.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes
Nine (when minimize into squares)
- 150ml sunflower oil, plus further for greasing
- 250g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g gentle muscovado sugar
- 60g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 125g carrots, grated
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
For the topping
- 250g low-fat gentle cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Chopped walnuts, to brighten
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/fuel mark 4. Lightly grease an 18cm sq. cake tin and line the underside with baking parchment.
- Combine all of the cake elements in a big bowl. Mix nicely till totally blended. Turn into the ready cake tin and stage the floor.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, till the cake is nicely risen, agency to the contact, and starting to shrink away from the perimeters of the tin.
- Leave the cake to chill within the tin for a couple of minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack, peel off the liner paper, and go away to chill fully.
- To make the topping: combine collectively the cheese, honey and lemon juice. Spread on prime of the cake and sprinkle the walnuts excessive. Store the cake within the fridge till able to serve.
Recipe from Mary Berry’s Complete Cookbook (DK, £30). Download the ebook from books.telegraph.co.uk